Monday, June 22, 2015

Author Notes on COMPETITORS!

Strangers in our midst--I’ve always been intrigued by that idea--whether the strangers were foreigners or aliens or... Neanderthals. What could be more fascinating than a story about ancestors of modern man--primitive by our definition--freely walking among us, escaping detection and thumbing their collective noses at us? Neanderthals are the ultimate underdogs. The very word has become synonymous with crude, boorish, and uncultured. So what would happen if a vulnerable young woman unexpectedly comes in contact with a mysterious tourist? What if she discovers the truth about his secret world? What if she falls in love with a Neanderthal?

Here you have the basis for COMPETITORS!, my popular paranormal romance. COMPETITORS! is a mystery too, with a serial killer on the loose--a killer who just happens to collects skulls.

AN IMPOSSIBLE MEETING!: Vivianne Quinn is staying at her brother’s apartment to recover from a personal tragedy. Her visit is anything but tranquil, for soon a serial killer targets her as the next victim, she has to “babysit” a valuable artifact, and she falls in love with a stranger, Max, who is unlike anyone she has ever met. How will Vivianne react when she finds out just how different he really is?


NEANDERTHAL’S NEMESIS: It’s common knowledge that Neanderthals are extinct, vanished from the face of the planet about 30,000 years ago. What remains a mystery is how or why this sudden disappearance occurred. Sometimes, however, common knowledge can be wrong....



Anthropology enthusiast Vivianne Quinn gets more than she bargained for when she makes a date to “meet” a Neanderthal!

For some reason, COMPETITORS! isn’t available as an eBook at Amazon.com. If you’d like this book available there, please contact Awe-Struck Publishing (Mundania Press) at inquiry@mundania.com!

This paranormal romantic suspense has been published with Awe-Struck Publishing from the start. It has appeared as #1 on the Fictionwise.com Best Seller List, gotten great reviews including 4 ½ stars from Once Upon A Romance Reviews, and was a Dream Realm Finalist for Best Speculative Fiction Romance.

In addition, I was named as one of the best eBook authors on the Internet by NightsandWeekends.com because of COMPETITORS! (among other books, too!)

Plus, my book trailer for COMPETITORS! was honored as one of the Top Ten Favorite Romance Books. Here’s the review:

Competitors! by Susanne Marie Knight comes in the third spot for my favorites. If it had been in the form of a mini-movie I think it could easily have taken the first or second slot! I'm assuming the author created this trailer herself, and she did a fantastic job, I will be purchasing this book at the earliest opportunity. The pictures absolutely match the story, and the text frames that have been inserted before them. This doesn't always happen with book trailers that use static pictures and text frames. The creator also put outlines around characters, and objects in colors that really brought out what the pictures and text were trying to convey. A great book trailer and one I would love to see put into a mini-movie. You can view this book trailer here. --My Top Ten Favorite Romance Book Trailers from YouTube--Regina Paul

Music is by Kevin MacLeod, Zombie Hoodoo.

Here are some real life connections in COMPETITORS! My major in college was anthropology; my area of interest: physical anthropology. This certainly helped with the premise of COMPETITORS! The book’s setting is in the Bronx, New York--my old neighborhood, in fact. And my apartment also was Number 17, same as Vivianne’s brother’s place.

The inspiration for Max’s cat in COMPETITORS! was my beloved Siamese kitty. He always liked to “sun” himself under the lamp on my desk and give advice whenever I got writer’s block.

Below is a passage from COMPETITORS! Scene Setup: Vivianne had just met a stranger, Max, and his “cousin” Nilda. He treats her to lunch and has a favor to ask.

The server returned and placed the charges on the table. Vivianne leaned over to get her bill.
"Nein. No, you must allow me." Holding out his hand for the bill, Max waited for her to obey. His eyebrows descended even further, almost hiding the color of his eyes. "You are my guest. I insist."
Nilda sat back down, transferring her gaze from Max to Vivianne. "Yes, you will quite insult him if you refuse."
Whoa. Vivianne fingered her earring a little nervously. "I thank you, really but I would feel better if I pay--"
"No. This is my, how do you say, my treat." He snatched the paper, then reached into his pocket and removed a hundred dollar bill out of a money clip.
Gosh, he was awfully high-handed, wasn't he? But why fight about it? "Well, thank you, Max. I enjoyed lunch."
Nilda had a one-track mind. She stood. "Now we go."
Vivianne glanced at the hundred. The total charge had come to around sixty bucks. Surely he wanted change?
Max smiled again, but this time, he looked amused. "You are concerned about my finances, ja? Too much of a tip, is that it, Vivianne?" He tugged on Nilda's arm, pulling her back into her chair. "We wait for change."
Nilda looked as though she was readying to snort fire at Vivianne, but the woman restrained herself.
"Besides," Max leaned over, this time grasping Vivianne's hand and sandwiched it between his two huge ones, "I have a favor to ask of Vivianne."
Now Nilda squirmed in her chair.
Omigosh! Vivianne must've blushed vivid scarlet. His body warmth traveled up her arm and down her chest to settle in the most indecent places! Just what kind of favor was he asking?
"It concerns my cat."
"Your cat," she repeated, taken completely off guard.
"Ja. My cousin is kindly letting me stay with her during my visit, but the problem is my cat, Eins. I am afraid he is not used to sharing space with other animals, and Nilda has a dog."
Nilda made a gurgling noise, then quickly drank from a glass of water on the table.
With her hand still trapped, Vivianne wasn't able to think. She removed it and placed both hands in the safety of her lap. "Eins? Doesn't that mean 'one' in German?"
"True, number one. Eins thinks a lot of himself."
She laughed. She couldn't help it. Who would've imagined this mammoth guy under the paws of a housecat?

I hope you enjoy this intriguing tale and Vivianne and Max’s unusual story.

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!