Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Buzz on A NOBLE DILEMMA

Who represents Regency England better than author Jane Austen? When she first started her writing career, she kept her identity from the public by calling herself, “THE AUTHOR”. Simply put: in Jane’s day, a lady DID NOT ruin her reputation by writing for publication. 


Of course, word of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE and SENSE AND SENSIBILITY’s mysterious author eventually got out. For example, one of Jane’s brothers liked to boast. Still, her identity wasn’t common knowledge until after her death. In 1816 however, the Prince Regent himself became an admirer. The future George IV even hinted that he would like Jane to dedicate her new novel, EMMA, to him. Jane very reluctantly complied, coming up with this gem:


So what does Jane Austen’s secret “hobby” have to do with A NOBLE DILEMMA? Plenty! This Regency romance is poverty-stricken Bethany Branford’s story, and her desire to support herself through her published writing. Naturally, she views Jane Austen as an inspiration. It was such fun for me to be Bethany’s chronicler of her experiences in the big city of London.

WHAT WOULD JANE AUSTEN DO??
Bethany has been taking care of Great Aunt Cordelia for five years. When her aunt passes away, Bethany is without a home.
A distant relation, David, the Earl of Ingraham, comes to her rescue by offering her a London Season so she can attract an eligible suitor.
Bethany has other plans for her future--writing a novel. If her secret is discovered, it will scandalize not only Polite Society, but also David, whom she has grown to love.
Will Bethany find a solution to this noble dilemma?

A NOBLE DILEMMA soon became part of the Aurora Regency Line with Aspen Mountain Press. It also was selected to be part of a Regency four-book bundle.


Aspen Mountain Press’ cover for A NOBLE DILEMMA

Alas, you’ve probably figured out what happens next. The publisher went out of business. But good news: another publisher, Musa Publishing, bought the Aurora Regency line. This novel continued to garner great reviews like, “This is a classically crafted Regency Romance with likable characters and an easy to follow plot.” Coffee Time Romance and More.


 Musa Publishing’s cover for A NOBLE DILEMMA

But, once again, after several years, this publisher closed its doors, too. So I arranged for A NOBLE DILEMMA to be available at Amazon.com, Smashwords.com, along with other internet sites.


Bethany has a guilty secret that if discovered, will scandalize Polite Society and her new love, the Earl of Ingraham. What would Jane Austen do??


Here is a book trailer for A NOBLE DILEMMA:


New Price: $2.99!

This book is part of the prestigious Elegant Regencies line.


For those of you who like to read reviews, get ready... here they come!

4 Books! A Noble Dilemma is a tight intriguing novel placed in the regency era.... Subtle surprises, above average characters, and a wonderful eye for detail set A Noble Dilemma apart. Secondary characters are both important and singular. Activities are appropriate and fun to read about; from dinners to carriage ride, dinners to the obligatory trip to London. Fans of this particular type of historical will enjoy this – most especially because it both fits, but somewhat escapes the mold. Truly charming.--Long and Short Reviews

4 Cups! This is a classically crafted Regency Romance with likable characters and an easy to follow plot. ... I enjoyed the gradual building of the feelings between the two [characters]. Bethany is my favorite of a great cast of characters. She is caring without being too sweet, and her problem solving abilities definitely help the plot along.--Coffee Time Romance & More

Susanne Marie Knight's book is very enjoyable read, she does a nice job showing just how limited a woman’s life was in this period of history so far as finding a way to earn an income. This book was fun to read and a great escape from the stress today. It shows just how far women have come in this Western civilization in the years since this novel’s time period. The characters were warm, real and three dimensional. They were people I’d like to have in my own family.--Got Historical Romance Reviews

Fans of light Regency romance will find that A Noble Dilemma's characters are likeable and the sweet romance builds to a traditional happy ending.--Night Owl Reviews

I loved this book. The heroine is so refreshing. She's sweet without being a saintly Mary Sue. You have to love a girl who wants to have it all.--M.B.

This book is wonderful!--C. S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For my real life connection, I’m going to depart from my usual personal tidbit to give you a character interview for Bethany, the main character. She does refer to me in her interview, so you can see her take on me as the author! Have fun!

Character Interview For Bethany Brandford, soon to marry
David Greyle, the Earl of Ingraham.

***Thank you for coming to chat with us today, Bethany. Why do you think Susanne Marie Knight chose you to represent her?

And thank you! It’s lovely to be here, I assure you! As for my dear fellow author, Susanne, I believe she chose me to speak on her behalf because we have so much in common. I do love to write, you see, and who understands a writer better than another writer? Although I must say, my tastes run to works that are more gothic than what Susanne writes.

***Tell us a little about yourself?

I am starting a new chapter in my life, you know. Soon I will be wed to my most darling David. Before London, I lived in Bamburgh, Northumberland--just south of the Scottish border. I took care of dear Great Aunt Cordelia, and she, of course, took care of me when I was orphaned at the tender age of ten and six. Oh, the stories I could tell of my adventures in Bamburgh! I’ve stored up a vast amount of material to draw upon in my future books. I especially wish to write about Mr. Jarvis, the local blacksmith, who was quite a colorful... and persistent character. Did you know he had a tendency to linger his sooty fingers against my only pair of worn, but clean gloves?

***What is your birth date?

June 2nd, in the year 1795, if you must know! Susanne tells me I was born under the sign of Gemini, and that explains my desire to write. In truth, I have no idea what she is talking about, but then, after all, she *is* the author of my tale!

***Is there anything you wish Susanne Marie Knight had kept her mouth shut about?

Goodness no! How rude that would be of me, to criticize my author. However, if *only* she would have allowed me to insert more of my work-in-progress in A NOBLE DILEMMA. His Royal Highness, Prince Augustus, is quite enchanted with my writing, you know!

***Do you feel you were portrayed fairly?

Most certainly yes! I can honestly say that I felt myself coming to life as Susanne put goose-quill pen to paper.

***Tell us about David Greyle, the Earl of Ingraham. What drew you to him?

David is the most agreeable man I have ever known. Indeed, I am of the opinion that he must be the handsomest man alive! Oh, he makes my maiden heart flutter. And so kind and good-natured, too. Am I not the luckiest woman?

***What do you do to relax?

Goodness! I have no need to relax! Now that I am soon to be the Countess of Ingraham, all my needs are taken care of. What I want to do now is to have fun with my David.

***What’s your biggest turn ons?

Turn on? I beg your pardon? Oh, what things am I excessively fond of--I see. I love romantic carriage rides in Hyde Park, with David handling the reins. Oh yes, and waltzing with my one true love is like heaven on earth!

***What are your biggest Turn offs?

Any day without David!

***What’s your favorite Ice cream flavor, Chocolate, Vanilla, or Strawberry?

Any flavor of ices that are available at Gunter’s is, how do you say, is a turn on for me!

***Do you believe in ghosts?

Maybe. The bigger question is, do they believe in me?

***What is your biggest fear?

I would say my biggest fear is running out of writing paper when I am in the middle of a project. Goodness, what a calamity that would be! My future husband, however, assures me there is no chance of that happening. I own I must be the most fortunate girl in London.

I see my interview time is up! My thanks to Aurora Regency/Aspen Mountain Press for arranging this interview. I do enjoy chatting with you all and I hope everyone enjoys A NOBLE DILEMMA!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to me here. I hope you enjoy Bethany and David’ story.

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!