Thursday, March 26, 2020

Re-Release! A Very Special Christmas Present


The Re-Buzz on “A Very Special Christmas Present”
Re-Released! New Cover!

Great news! My “Family Favorite” Regency short story has now been re-released!
Regency romances are always popular with readers. Perhaps it’s because they recall an elegant era or perhaps it’s the appeal of noblemen and their ladies. Whatever the attraction, I’m heartily glad for it! “A Very Special Christmas Present” began as a submission to a new Regency publishing house. The publisher was conducting a contest for short stories to include in the new print and electronic anthology, THE WINTER HOLIDAY SAMPLER. The contest rules were simple: set the story around a winter holiday: the parameters between Advent and Twelfth Night. Naturally I chose Christmas!
Happily, my story was one of the seventeen winners. “A Very Special Christmas Present” earned fantastic reviews.


Seventeen Wonderful Stories Of Regency England
As it happens so often, the publisher had to close its doors and the anthology is no longer available. With the rights to “A Very Special Christmas Present” returned to me.
Some time passed, and then I received a call from publisher Uncial Press to submit a short story. I sent in “A Very Special Christmas Present”. It had been part of their inventory for many years. inventory. Below is the original cover: 



Deidre's only brother was killed in the Napoleonic Wars, so romance is the furthest thing from her mind. However her young "niece"--Cupid's curly-haired accomplice--is determined to give Auntie Dee the best Christmas present ever.


I recently decided to have the rights returned to me for all my Uncial Press books--a total of five novels and three short stories. “A Very Special Christmas Present” is the fourth to be re-released. It’s now available on Amazon.com and Smashwords.com!
Here’s the new cover:

Deidre’s young “niece” is determined to give her Auntie Dee the best Christmas present ever: a husband!


This book is part of the Elegant Regencies line.
Some very special reviews for “A Very Special Christmas Present”:

* FIVE STARS! Fans of the stories set in early nineteenth century England will find this a comfortably familiar world. The setting is completely perfect, from the wonderful home and dedication to needlework, to the holiday plans, and even the focus on marriage. You will enjoy Knight’s clever twist with descriptions--her snow-capped fir trees “huddle” from the cold, and main character Deidre expresses frustration by ‘savagely’ embroidering. Throughout, the phrasing is subtle but delightful. It’s hard to say more without spoiling this one. Full of Christmas charm, Susanne Marie Knight’s A Very Special Christmas Present, would make a very nice present for some lucky romance fan on your shopping list...I will certainly re-read.--Long & Short Reviews.
* This is a most refreshing story. Sometimes we judge too quickly before learning the real truth.--Romance At Heart.
* I didn't want this story to end! More, more, more!--Reader Comment
* This is the best Regency short story I've read.-- Reader Comment

Real life tidbit: Just as our heroine, Deidre Livingston, I dabble in embroidery. Or rather, I used to dabble in embroidery. I enjoyed buying handkerchiefs and then using one as a canvas, embroider a friend or family member’s name to give as a gift. Deidre has far more talent than I ever had!
Scene setup: At a Christmas party, Jeremy Stafford, the Earl of Bainbridge, encounters the intriguing Miss Livingston who rescues him from the consequences of an unplanned sneeze!

Jeremy picked up two glasses of the mulled cider and handed one to Miss Livingston. The pungent aroma of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, tickled his nose even before he drank.
He sneezed. “I beg your pardon.” Reaching for his handkerchief, he came up empty.
Miss Livingston must have realized his dilemma for she searched in her reticule and pulled out a delicate, embroidered cloth. “Please, take mine,” she offered.
Accepting the handkerchief, he marveled at the satin-stitch design and the feminine name of Deirdre stitched upon it. “My thanks, Miss Livingston. I gave mine to that imp of a child. Is this your fine needlework?”
She looked down at the parquet wood floor. Modesty became her. “Yes. I had the pleasure of giving handkerchiefs as Christmas gifts to all Lady Fairmont’s guests.” Her gaze everywhere but on him, she added, “Would you like for me to make one for you, also?”
His response came straight from the heart. “Indeed, if I may, I wish to keep this one. Your name is quite lovely.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoy Deidre and Jeremy’s Christmas story.

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!