Monday, February 16, 2015

Author Notes on GRAVE FUTURE

GRAVE FUTURE, my paranormal romantic suspense novel, has a very interesting history. If I had to choose one word to describe the book itself, I’d pick “persistent.” As you read on, you’ll understand why!

GRAVE FUTURE was first conceived for a New York publishing line that had the theme: Is he going to kiss her or kill her? In other words, the hero needed to be a mysterious character. Maybe he was good, maybe he was bad.

The good news was that the publishing line liked it. The bad news was that it folded before GRAVE FUTURE had a chance. Then Dreams Unlimited acquired the book and published it in 1999. Although I’d written a few books before GRAVE FUTURE, this is my first book published.
An innocent tourist is stranded in an isolated cabin with a hostile stranger, an eerie fireplace, and a Shakespeare-quoting ghost.

GRAVE FUTURE soon gained best-seller status, garnering a Gottawrite.com Award Winner Favorite and many 5 star reviews including Euro-Reviews and Amazon.com. Unfortunately, that publisher went out of business, but GRAVE FUTURE was soon picked up by LTDBooks.
What if a Shakespeare-quoting ghost found a way to avenge his death?

Again, my paranormal romantic suspense was on a best-seller list. But this publisher also closed its doors. However, Awe-Struck eBooks (Mundania Press) acquired the book and reincarnated GRAVE FUTURE where it has remained for your reading pleasure!

Now you know why I think GRAVE FUTURE is persistent!

In my books, I like to include a few experiences from my life. Since GRAVE FUTURE is a dark suspense, I used some background from my job at the federal Drug Enforcement Agency to enhance the novel. I also worked at a federal correctional facility, where my training on how to use firearms came in handy! In addition, I actually did get lost in the Poconos while looking for a friend’s summer home, and the car was, in fact, a yellow Triumph! My tiny car, unlike Jocelyn’s, fortunately survived the trip.

One more real life connection: GRAVE FUTURE features a fireplace that seems to be a gateway to Hell! One of the houses I lived in inspired (!) me to write this passage:

“Even the pitted black stones of the fireplace contributed to doom and gloom. A floor-to-ceiling ebony slab of hardened lava rock? She’d never seen anything so ugly or so full of misery. She fingered the gritty exterior of the stones. Nothing tranquil about these rocks. Propelled from the bowels of the earth, they seemed to harbor age-old secrets, age-old resentments.”

So there you have it. Get ready for chills, spills, and... a Shakespeare-quoting ghost. Who could ask for anything more?? GRAVE FUTURE's future is very bright, indeed.

I hope you enjoy Jocelyn and Dan’s story.

Happy reading,

Susanne

Susanne Marie Knight
www.susanneknight.com
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!