Monday, February 23, 2015

Author Notes on LOVE AT THE TOP

LOVE AT THE TOP, my trendy contemporary romance novel, gives a modern-day twist to a fairytale setup: Millionaire Marries Working Girl. Nowadays I would use: BILLIONAIRE Marries Working Girl, but what’s a few extra million in today’s economy?!

The characters, Alex and Cassidy had to meet without her knowing his true identity and that she would soon be working for him. This was an intriguing challenge. What needed to be in place so that Cassidy wouldn’t recognize Alex when she first saw her boss Mr. Hayden-Smith? What kind of person did she need to be for Alex to fall in love with her? All these factors add spice to the story.


I truly enjoyed writing LOVE AT THE TOP, and imbuing the book with New York City’s living pulse, along with experiencing the joys and sorrows Cassidy and Alex face, plus laughing at the antics of the comedic characters. Novel Books, Inc. soon picked up this frothy tale.

What if a lonely woman's dream man turned out to be her arrogant, new boss?

LOVE AT THE TOP earned Best-Seller status on several sites including 5 star standing on Amazon.com. My book was also selected as a finalist in the prestigious EPIC Awards (now EPIC eBook Award) for Best Contemporary Romance.


After the publishing house closed, Awe-Struck Books (Mundania Press) signed LOVE AT THE TOP, where it is still available for your reading pleasure, also at Amazon.com and other internet sites.

For those of you who enjoy reading about tidbits from my life that appear in my books, I also worked in downtown Manhattan as Cassidy does, and in addition, one of my jobs there was in a personnel (now Human Resources) department. I would often wander the streets on my lunch hour, usually eating a pretzel or a knish.

Walking down Broadway to the park by City Hall, Cassidy shielded her eyes from the bright sun. She was glad she’d changed her mind about lunch. Her office's four walls had seemed to close in on her. She had to escape to the outside, to the sunlight.
Her stomach rumbled, so she stopped at a street vendor's stand and bought a steaming hot pretzel and a Coke. Not much of a lunch, but it was better than being stuck in her office.

One of the wonderful benefits to writing is that I can indulge my imagination and travel wherever my story takes me. With LOVE AT THE TOP, I traveled back home to New York and I also got to “visit” Denver!

A side note: I first conceived LOVE AT THE TOP when the World Trade Center towers were standing tall, majestically silhouetted against the other Manhattan skyscrapers. Symbolically, the towers stood for LOVE AT THE TOP, just as Denver the mile-high city stood for LOVE AT THE TOP. I dedicate my novel to all of us who have lost loved ones on September 11th, and to future generations who can never experience the beauty of the towers firsthand.

Artist’s rendering of a possible cover pre-9/11/2001

Now that you know the inside scoop on LOVE AT THE TOP, I hope you enjoy Cassidy and Alex’s story.

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!