Monday, January 25, 2016

Author Notes on “Cup O’Joe”

Here’s another inside scoop on a newly-released-as-a-single short story (or VERY short story as some would say). “Cup O’Joe” clocks in at 450 words. Yep, that’s right. Only 450 words. I call this little tale: horror with a twist. The genre isn’t what I usually write--romance writing with a twist--but it begged for me to tell its story.

This *very* short story is actually free at Smashwords. Here is the direct link:

It’s also on Amazon.com at the price of $.99 -- the hope is that Amazon will eventually pick it up as a freebie, and then the price will change to zero!

If you’re wondering why a romance writer decided to write a horror story, then here’s the 411. Quite a few years ago (still the present century, though) a call from an online publisher went out for horror stories. In addition to horror, the stories had to be short--short as in 500 words or less. Wow. Telling a coherent tale in only 500 words is quite a feat. So naturally, I was intrigued!

I conjured up “Cup O’Joe” and sent my submission in. Sadly, the publisher didn’t “get” the humor in the story. But his loss was my gain, for I then offered this bit of Flash Fiction on my website.


Original cover
 I recently decided to spruce up “Cup O’Joe” with a new cover. 


To celebrate Halloween, here's a non-calorie treat: "Cup o'Joe"--horror with a twist. Read it if you dare!


Sample reviews:
Scary story! Kind of gross too, but effective. Happy Hallowe'en!--J.R.

Neat little twist in this tale, I would be interested in perhaps seeing something-else from this world.--M.B.

This short story is part of the Uncanny Paranormals line.

Read life tidbit: In keeping with the length of this horror short story, I’m limiting myself to only one line from “Cup O’Joe”. It’s the first line in the story.

Hell, he didn’t feel human in the morning until he had a cup o’joe.

That pretty much sums it up for me!

Read “Cup O’Joe” if you dare! And please let me know what you think! Enjoy your morning coffee. :))

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!