Monday, February 1, 2016

Author Notes on “Saturation Point”

The inside scoop on the science fiction short story, “Saturation Point” is that it’s over 2,200 words. The story sells for $0.99. Yep, another very short story. But it does pack a punch!
Short Story Alert: As with all of my *very* short stories, I’d like to reduce the amount, however 99 cents is the lowest I’m allowed to go on Amazon and Smashwords. Again, periodically Smashwords holds a sale, and I can set the price to free at that time, so do check on the link every now and then.

Back to “Saturation Point”. Some time ago, I received one of those story prompt devices. It consisted of a few wheels that turned with writing instructions to spark the imagination. I thought I’d give it a try. What I got was this: for instructions, I was told to use the setting wheel, use the starter wheel, and also incorporate five foreign words in the story. The setting was to be on a new planet. The starter was “The smell of”, and the five foreign words... well, I just made my female protagonist, Lieutenant Margot Le Blanc, French.
What I came up with is a delightful little tale of love... or lust far away from home.
A very timely occurrence happened. I received a publisher’s call for science fiction short stories to be included in a print journal: Alien Alerts Journal. “Saturation Point” was perfect for this so I submitted it. Naturally, I was elated when the publisher sent me a contract! 


After publication, I was free to include “Saturation Point” in the anthology, LUCKY 13. The print version of LUCKY 13 is no longer available electronically, but still available in print from my website.

Thirteen delightful stories for your reading pleasure by Susanne Marie Knight


Artist’s concept cover
I’m happy to announce I’ve now re-released “Saturation Point” electronically at Amazon.com and Smashwords.com!

If you think the light of the silvery moon is romantic, just think what the shadow of the planet Mars will do to one’s libido!
This short story is part of the Fascinating Sci-Fi line.
Real life snippet: While I don’t possess a nose that’s honed into fragrances like Margot’s delicate nostrils, my daughter does indeed own a very discerning nose. In fact, I based Margot’s focus on perfumes on some episodes from the home front!
Scene set up: The following passage is from the very beginning of “Saturation Point”.
           “Zut! I cannot believe I forgot it.”
From his workstation, Jordan Penbrook glanced at the only other occupant of the shuttle. Lieutenant Margot Le Blanc was the epitome of a ditsy blonde--in his opinion anyway. Not really interested in her answer, he asked anyway. “What did you forget, Lieutenant?”
She turned away from the command console and raised her near-invisible eyebrows. “It is my special fragrance, eau de fête, Captain Penbrook. Whenever I get homesick, I give myself a spray and voilà! Instantly I am transported back to my beautiful garden, my jardin de fleurs.”
As floral fragrances had absolutely nothing to do with their mission on Phobos, Mars’ larger and innermost moon, Jordan returned his attention to his instruments.
“Ma oui, and it is also très useful for getting rid of this cabin stench,” she added.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So that’s the story on this short science fiction tale. I hope you enjoy Margot and Jordan story.
Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!