Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Author Notes on “Special Delivery”

Special Delivery” was first conceived in the prior century! A new print publisher put out a call for short stories... novellettes, they called it. I was invited to submit. After thinking about the topic, I decided to write something that I often did back in the old days: wait for the mail! Why was I so preoccupied with the mail? Well, I was looking for acceptance letters, contracts, checks, that sort of thing. So naturally, I started to wonder what would happen if one day, the mail waited for me--or Ralph Dunmeyer, as it were. “Special Delivery”, a fantasy romance, is the result.

The publisher happily accepted “Special Delivery” and the new print publication, Notable Novellettes was marketed to airport shops, attracting travelers looking for quick fiction reads. Okay, you can guess what happened next... that’s right, the venture soon folded.


Next, “Special Delivery” was contracted with an online publisher. Here’s a blurb from their publicity sheet: "Ms. Knight brings her unique and fresh talent as a writer to the Dollar Download program. You, too, can experience the vivid style and sharp wit of this author..."


Readers who enjoyed Greek/Roman mythology loved this short story, and it received great review including:

10 STARS OUT OF 10 STARS!! Bookcrossing.com

5 STARS!! "Special Delivery" is a wonderful surprise. I started reading this story, not really knowing what to expect, and was delighted with the story Susanne Marie Knight brought to life. If you are at all familiar with Roman mythology, "Special Delivery" will have an added level of enjoyment as you meet the characters that change Ralph's life. The characters' veiled references to mythology as well as Ralph's dry wit will have you smiling at their levity and humor. Ralph has a self-deprecating sense of humor that blends well with the first person telling of this story. Ms. Knight's writing style and delivery ensures that readers are entertained and rewarded for taking the time to read her work. "Special Delivery" is a short story that delivers a quick, refreshing, and romantic twist that is sure to charm.--Fallen Angel Reviews

4 Roses! "Special Delivery" is a short story and only spans a few minutes in the life of Ralph [Dunmeyer]. The story is fast paced and the dialogue is great. We get to see what Ralph is thinking and feeling but not the other characters in the book, not even in the end. The Fates do have plans for everyone and they did a little show and tell with Ralph. You might learn that you don't have to change completely in order to find happiness and love. If you have a little time to spare and want to learn a little about Greek and Roman mythology then pick up "Special Delivery".--A Romance Review

Now “Special Delivery” is available for your reading pleasure at Amazon.com and Smashwords.com.

Ralph Dunmeyer thinks he is a failure. He wants to change everything about himself because change is good, right? When he reaches into his mailbox, he is taken on a journey to discover that maybe he isn’t such a bad person after all. 


What happens when a man who is convinced he is a failure, reaches into his mailbox and receives a very special delivery?


This book is part of the Magical Fantasies line.


Time for a true life confession here: Sometimes, just like our hero, Ralph Dunmeyer, I go outside to get the mail looking like one of the not-ready-for-prime-time-players. No, of course I don’t need to shave (!) as Ralph does, but my hair can be little wonky, my clothes can be rather scruffy, and as for my makeup... well, sometimes it’s non-existent. So naturally, during those times, I hope, as Ralph does, that no passersby notice me.

Here’s a passage that shows Ralph trying to slink out of the house:

Now fortified with a blast of caffeine, I trotted down my front sidewalk to get the mail, hoping no passersby would see me in all my unshaven glory. As Fate would have it, no such luck. Mrs. Witherspoon, my neighbor across the street, dropped her gardening tools and brushed the dirt from her arthritic knees.
“Yoo hoo, Mr. Dunmeyer!”
Yoo hoo. I scratched at my unintentionally spiked hair. What kind of person goes around yodeling, Yoo hoo?
Hoping to avoid a morning chit-chat with the block busybody, I waved at Mrs. Witherspoon and speeded up my walk.
She didn’t buy it. The woman’s sharp, as sharp as they come.
“Just get out of bed, Mr. Dunmeyer?”
The woman knew I worked late. She knew my routine almost as well as I did. You know what she’s like; you probably have a neighbor just like her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoy Ralph Dunmeyer’s magical story!

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!