Monday, February 8, 2016

Author Notes on “Friday Night”

“Friday Night”, my family favorite romance short story, has a similar history with another contemporary romance short story: “Happy Anniversary”. Back in the last century (!), 1994, a print publisher in New Jersey put out a call for romance short stories. *Extremely* short stories, around 1,000 words. They accepted “Happy Anniversary”, and then requested another one. “Friday Night” is the result, clocking in at a little over 1,000.


If only Paula could meet Mr. Right--someone like the new neighbor that had moved into the garden apartment below hers. She hadn’t seen much of him, probably because their work schedules conflicted. What she had seen, though, she instinctively liked. See how a lost article of clothing introduces two neighbors.

After this story was published, I was able to find for a new home for it. I decided to use it as a freebie to promote my best-selling Regency time-travel romance, TIMELESS DECEPTION, at the time released by the defunct Novel Books, Inc. Now this Regency is available at Awestruck.net and Amazon.com. But back to “Friday Night”. Here is the original cover. 


Soon this story appeared on Fictionwise.com, and then my anthology LUCKY 13, no longer available electronically, but still available in print from my website.


Thirteen delightful stories for your reading pleasure by Susanne Marie Knight

Now I’ve released it on Amazon.com and Smashwords.com.

The story sells for $0.99. As with all of my *very* short stories, I’d like to reduce the amount, however 99 cents is the lowest I’m allowed to go on Amazon and Smashwords. Again, periodically Smashwords holds a sale, and I can set the price to free at that time, so do check on the link every now and then.


A lost intimate article of clothing unites two lonely neighbors!



This book is part of the Romantic Contemporaries line.



Here are two terrific reader comments:

"I really liked your short story. Keep up the great writing!”

"Ah, the things daydreams are made of--to have a sexy man fall right into your lap! Fun read!”

Now for the real life tidbit: Since the publication I wrote “Friday Night” for was located in New Jersey, I wanted to connect the story with the Garden State as I did with “Happy Anniversary” and Route 206. I set the romance in garden apartments; growing up in New York City, I’d never seen nor heard of these types of apartments. But I was very familiar with laundromats... and the risk of not thoroughly removing laundry from the dryers. Here’s what happened to Paula.

Her neighbor’s smile dazzled her. "Well, Paula, I think I have something of yours." Extending his right hand, he held out something small and smooth. Something mint green in color.
She looked at him in surprise. "What is it?" After taking it, she felt the blood drain from her face. It was a bra--her bra. Holding onto the doorknob for support, she hoped the floor would open up and swallow her. This was just too embarrassing. How had he gotten her bra?
He ran his hand through his thick, ebony-colored hair. "I found it in one of the dryers tonight."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoy Paula and Ray’s cute meet!

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!