Monday, February 22, 2016

Author Notes on “Teacher’s Pet”

After I used my story prompt device to create the short story, “Saturation Point” (read the author notes for “Saturation Point”), I decided to try again to write another story. I spun the wheels and received these instructions: the Setting was “school”, the Starter was “Remember when”, and for the Words, I was told to spin the wheel twenty times for twenty words. Well, that seemed excessive to me (!) so I only spun it a few times. These are the random words I remember getting: teacher’s pet, hypnotist, boss, and belly.

And so with those few prompts, I constructed “Teacher’s Pet”, a contemporary short story. I consider it a coming of age tale. In it, a now grown-up bully gets his comeuppance. “Teacher’s Pet” is over 1,500 words and sells for $0.99. Yep, another very short story.

Short Story Alert: As with all of my *very* short stories, I’d like to reduce the amount, however 99 cents is the lowest I’m allowed to go on Amazon and Smashwords. Again, periodically Smashwords holds a sale, and I can set the price to free at that time, so do check on the link every now and then.

Ever since Bill Nelson was a kid, bully “Mac” MacDonald always bested him. Now grown, Bill has a bit of an inferiority complex. To even the playing field, he visits a hypnotherapist who knows just how to handle the obnoxious Mac.

“Teacher’s Pet” was available at Fictionwise.com. After that site closed, I included the story in the anthology, LUCKY 13. The print version of LUCKY 13 is no longer available electronically, but still available in print from my website.


Thirteen delightful stories for your reading pleasure by Susanne Marie Knight


I’ve now re-released “Saturation Point” electronically at Amazon.com and Smashwords.com!


Nice guys: Don’t feel disheartened. Sometimes bullies finish last!


This short story is part of the romantic contemporary line.


Here’s a poignant reader comment: “Ouch! Brings back memories!”

Real life snippet: No, I’ve never consulted with a hypnotherapist, but I have had appointments with professionals in metaphysical fields. One in particular did work out of her home. Her whole house was so peaceful, so serene that I didn’t want to leave! I based Dr. Jaycee Lane’s office on this experience.

Scene set up: Bill sets up his first appointment with a hypnotherapist.

The hypno office wasn’t far from mine. In fact, Dr. Lane worked out of her home. She greeted me at the front door, a lovely vision in a colorful robe, tortoise shell eyeglasses, and dark flowing hair.

“I have some forms for you to fill out, and then we can begin, Mr. Nelson,” Dr. Lane said in her melodious voice. “Please follow me.

I would’ve followed her anywhere!

She led me to a tranquil living room where mesmerizing flames crackled in the fireplace. New age music played softly in the background, sedating me further. When I sat on an overstuffed couch, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I guess I’d had a rougher day than I realized. Somehow I managed to complete the forms without falling asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoy Bill Nelson’s story!

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!