Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Author Notes on “Adolescence”

I have to admit the origin of “Adolescence,” my coming-of-age science fiction short story is murky in my memory. I have no idea why I decided to write a tale about a teenaged alien’s angst. Maybe it was because I had my own young fleshling at home. Weird! Anyway, I do know that in 2002, I submitted this short story to an internet website no longer in existence--ShadowKeep--for consideration in their Qwik Fics line. The editor loved the story, saying it was very original and “I’ll never look at the beach creatures the same again!”


After publication, I was free to re-publish “Adolescence”. It’s almost 800 words and sells for $0.99. Yep, another very short story.

Short Story Alert: As with all of my *very* short stories, I’d like to reduce the amount, however 99 cents is the lowest I’m allowed to go on Amazon and Smashwords. Again, periodically Smashwords holds a sale, and I can set the price to free at that time, so do check on the link every now and then.

Never doubt an alien fortuneteller! Shandelle is a happy-go-lucky teenager who is preoccupied with normal teenager concerns. But what will she do when she learns that her perfect world will soon come to an end?

“Adolescence” then was offered at Fictionwise.com in the anthology LUCKY 13. After that site closed, the story was no longer available electronically, but still available in print from my website.


Thirteen delightful stories for your reading pleasure by Susanne Marie Knight


Artist’s concept cover

I’ve now re-released “Adolescence” electronically at Amazon.com and Smashwords.com!


What will Shandelle do when she learns that her perfect world will soon come to an end?


This short story is part of the Fascinating Science Fiction line.


Here are two reader comments:
  • “Cute story. You have the greatest imagination.”
and the editor’s comment:
  • [Adolescence] is a very original story; certainly I’ll never look at the beach creatures the same again!”

Real life snippet: As I mentioned above, when I wrote this short tale, I had a teenager at home, just as Shandelle’s parents do. And if you’re familiar with parenting, complaints about mom and dad can be everyday occurrences! Shandelle is no different, as we see in the below comment:

Parents! What a useless breed! All they ever did was shake their pincers and moan, “Just you wait until it is your time.”

Shandelle snorted. Her time was now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoy Shandelle’s coming-of-age story!

Happy reading,

Susanne Marie Knight
Read outside the box: award-winning Romance Writing With A Twist!